The Millennial Generation: the age group comprised of people born between 1981 and 2000. In other words, the majority of your applicant pool for the next 10 to 15 years.
While it may seem simpleminded to lump millions of people into a single category and treat them as a monolithic entity, this is the Internet, and that’s what we do! I kid, but if you work for an organization that plans to continue hiring and developing people, it might not be a bad idea to find out what the generational trends are. How well do you think you know Millennials, their views, and their interests? You can start by taking this quiz.
Disclaimer: If you were born after 1980 and count yourself among the Millennials, you can still take the quiz, but it won’t count toward your overall grade. Besides, you probably already figured out that the answers appear at the bottom of this page. So just sit back and laugh while the old people fumble around trying to work the mouse. If you see a really old person writing the answers on his monitor with a Sharpie, be a good citizen, will ya?
- 63% of Millennials favor:
A. Marijuana legalization
B. Nicki Minaj over Taylor Swift
C. Bernie Sanders over Hillary Clinton
D. S’mores Pop-Tarts
- In the Millennial generation, a greater percentage of women than men:
A. Drinks craft beer
B. Has a bachelor’s degree
C. Is a professional bull rider on the rodeo circuit
D. Works in a science field
- What percentage of Millennial men are military veterans as of 2015?
D. Does beating your friends at Call of Duty: Black Ops count?
- Based on the results of an international skills survey called the Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC), Millennials in which three countries (of the 22 nations that participated) tied for last in numeracy?
A. The United States, Spain, and Italy
B. Pangea, Laurasia, and Gondwanaland
C. England, Poland, and Slovakia
D. Tatooine, Alderaan, and Hoth
- 29% of Millennials in the United States make the following claim:
A. They refuse to consume genetically modified food
B. They refuse to see Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (because no Jar Jar)
C. They prefer freelance work to 9-5 employment
D. They do not affiliate with a religion
- 90% of Millennials in the United States say:
A. They can’t function without a smartphone
B. People share too much information about themselves online
C. 140 characters is about right
D. “Selfie” in reference to any picture of themselves, even if it was taken by someone else
- In contrast to 58% of American Millennials, only 20% of French Millennials think:
A. Harry Potter has genuine wizard powers
B. Education is very important for success
C. Mimes are creepy
D. President Obama is doing a good job
- Which two of the following statements are true?
A. “I totally just pwned LeBron James in a game of one-on-one”
B. “I can’t wait to see what Adam Sandler does next”
C. 64% of Americans born before 1945 think the U.S. is the greatest country in the world
D. 32% of Americans born after 1980 think the U.S. is the greatest country in the world
- What do 44% of Millennials believe is becoming obsolete?
- In a Young Leaders survey conducted by the Brookings Institute, Millennials said their political views were shaped most strongly by:
A. Their parents
B. The Daily Show
C. South Park
D. Social Media
E. This quiz does not offer E as an option
- B (for reals)
- C and D
- A (true story!)
How did you do?
7-10 correct – You read the same studies we did (or are just lucky)
4-6 correct – This is what Jan Brady felt like her whole childhood
1-3 correct – You’ve said “Get off my lawn!” before and meant it
0 correct – Oh, come on. If you had simply picked “A” for all of them, you were bound to have gotten at least one right
Sources: Pew Research Center, Educational Testing Services, Brookings Institute